Perry W. Buffington – 2018 Psychopharmacology Intensive
With the number of prescriptions written yearly on the rise, it’s more critical than ever for mental health professionals to understand how psychotropic medications work, where in the body they work, and why they do (or don’t) improve your clients’ therapeutic outcomes.
Are you confident in your role as both the patient advocate and protector to effectively address medication assisted treatments in your overall care plan?
Based on 20+ years of experience in the medical-consulting field, expert instructor Perry Buffington, Ph.D., M.S., will guide you through the newest advances and contemporary trends in blending medication management with psychotherapy interventions for ADHD, depression, anxiety, psychotic disorders, substance abuse and more.
Together, you’ll explore medical drug emergencies, how nutrition and herbal supplements impact medication effectiveness, and the psychopharmacological ethics you need to know to best protect your clients. You’ll also learn specialized guidelines for geriatrics, pregnant or nursing women, and clients with chronic pain.
Designed for counselors, nurses, psychotherapists, psychologists and other mental health professionals, this comprehensive online course will walk you step-by-step through the science of psychopharmacology in a non-threatening, non-complicated way.
Don’t wait to get the knowledge you need to know to answer your clients’ questions, manage side effects, understand medication reactions and improve your treatment outcomes.
Get the up-to-date medication information you need to improve your treatment outcomes.
Through three comprehensive video modules, Dr. Perry Buffington will show you the latest advances in psychopharmacology and contemporary trends in medication management. In addition to a foundational review of medications, you will examine case examples, discuss medication controversies and learn how to effectively collaborate with prescribing practitioners.
Dr. Buffington’s years of work in mental health combined with his engaging presentation style, make this complex topic understandable, applicable and useful. With an emphasis on the experience and safety of the client, you’ll get the step-by-step guidance you need to comfortably, confidently and safely help your clients using medication.
Module 1: The Foundation of Psychopharmacology & Treatment of Depressive Disorders
In Module One, Dr. Buffington will begin with the basic knowledge of psychopharmacology that all non-prescribing providers need to know.
Together, you’ll review the many options your clients have for both medication and/or psychotherapy. You’ll also start exploring how drugs work, where in the body they work, and why they work (or don’t work!). Leave this module with a mastery of the foundational skills you need to better protect your patients using medication.
- Foundational Knowledge
- The 9 rules of psychopharmacology
- Drug metabolism concepts: pharmacokinetics & pharmacodynamics
- Mechanism of action of today’s psychotropic medications: How, where and why medications work
- Placebo & nocebo
- Understanding receptors and how to prescribe based on their action
- Masking: Psychological Problems Disguising Medical Disorders
- Differential disorders & diagnostic workup
- Top 10 life threatening side effects
- Depressive Disorders
- The terminal button & neuronal health
- Biogenic amine, cortisol, down-regulation, & neurotropic hypotheses
- Treatment resistant depression and drug combinations
Module 2: Treating Anxiety, Trauma, and Other Mental Health Disorders
In this session, you’ll take a deep dive into the neurochemistry and medication management strategies of specific disorders.
Dr. Buffington will also explore side effects, including where unusual and common side effects come from, so you can ease their impact and help your clients achieve optimal results from their medication care plan.
- Psychotic Disorders/Schizophrenia
- Extrapyramidal symptoms and TD
- Hyperprolactinemia: Why you need to know it
- Use of atypical antipsychotics for multiple disorders
- Pregnancy and psychotic disorders
- Movement disorders: Tardive Dyskinesias, Dystonias, Akathisia, EPS
- Sleep Disorders
- REM sleep and neurotransmitters
- FDA-approved treatments for insomnia
- Bipolar Disorders
- Mood stabilizers and lithium
- Anticonvulsants & neuromodulators
- Eating Disorders
- “Stacker Diet Pills”
- Laxatives and diuretics
- Impact of medication on treatment outcomes
- Anxiety, OCD and Trauma Related Disorders
- Physiological interventions
- Non-pharmacologic options
- Benzodiazepines: risks and benefits
- Nutritional Psychopharmacology
- Monoaminergic rich foods
- Achetylcholinergic rich foods
- Anti-inflammatory foods
Module 3: Working with Special Cases and Understanding Ethics
In the final module, you’ll learn how to distinguish the unique medication considerations for special populations. You’ll also learn to differentiate between acute vs. chronic pain and the ethical issues surrounding the everyday practice of clinical psychopharmacology.
You’ll leave this module confident in your ability to effectively address medication assisted treatments into your overall care plan with an understanding of your role as both the patient advocate and protector.
- Attentional Disorder
- Differential diagnosis
- Treatment controversies
- Substance abuse and ADHD
- Stimulant vs. non-stimulant options
- Substance Abuse Disorders
- Negative reinforcement & creation of habits
- PCP, MDMA (ecstasy) & ketamine
- Energy vs. chill drinks
- Over-the-counter & herbal psychopharmacology
- Treating Client Pain
- Acute vs. chronic pain
- Alternatives to psychopharmacology
- Pain vs. depression: which comes first?
- Co-morbid pain alternatives
- Special Populations
- Specialized guidelines for geriatric patients
- Dementia treatment
- Pregnancy guidelines
- Slow vs. rapid metabolizers (genetic polymorphisms)
- Ethics and Psychopharmacology
- High-risk pharmacology & psychopharmacology
- Off-label use of medications
- Prescribing for children
- Marketing of mental illness
- Informed vs. uninformed consent
- Patient & third party pressures
- Ethics associated with medical errors
More courses from the same author: Perry W. BuffingtonShare Tool - Group Buy Tools and Premium WordPress From $1
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to CourseAMZ account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your CourseAMZ account then going to Downloads Page.
You may also like:
- See more Meditation courses
- See more Fitness courses
- See more Trauma Healing courses
- See more Self Hypnosis courses
- See more Behavioral Health courses
- See more Mindvalley courses
- See more TheShiftNetwork courses
- See more PESI courses
- See more Yoga courses
- See more Massage courses
- See more Weight Loss courses
- See more Qigong courses
- See more Gym courses
- See more Detox courses
- See more Athlean X courses
- See more Beachbody courses
- See more Cognitive Behavioral courses
- See more Positive Psychology courses
- See more Neuro-linguistic programming courses
- See more Ericksonian Hypnotherapy courses
- See more Self Hypnosis courses
- See more Talmadge Harper courses
- See more NICABM courses
- See more Seduction courses
- See more Sex Tips courses
- See more Dirty Talk courses
- See more Body Language courses
- See more Gabrielle Moore courses
- See more 2 Girls Teach Sex courses
There are no reviews yet.