Varleisha Gibbs – 2-Day Self-Regulation Certificate Course: Neurological Interventions for Multisensory Integration, Emotional Regulation and Executive Functioning
Description of 2-Day Self-Regulation Certificate Course: Neurological Interventions for Multisensory Integration, Emotional Regulation and Executive Functioning
For children to be able to pay attention, actively participate and learn, their nervous systems must be regulated! Therefore, it’s essential to know the underlying brain connections related to challenging behaviors, such as hyperactivity, hypo-activity, aggressiveness, self-stimulation and inattentiveness in children and adolescents diagnosed with Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, and ADHD.
Watch renowned self-regulation expert and author Varleisha Gibbs, PhD, OTR/L, for this advanced 2-day training and learn the connection between neuroscience and self-regulation to help you select and develop effective self-regulation interventions.
Under Dr. Gibbs’ expert guidance, you will learn proven neurologically tailored sensory strategies, environmental strategies, sensory-based tools, respiratory- based techniques, and emotional regulation techniques, as well as mindfulness, social skill programs, and music and movement—to improve regulation.
By learning how to skillfully integrate these strategies you will be able to:
- Target the nine sensory systems, emotional regulation and executive functioning
- Tap into the central, autonomic, and enteric nervous systems to improve regulation
- Address primitive reflexes to improve social participation and age appropriate behaviors
- Initiate sensorial stimuli, calming and attentiveness to reduce challenging behaviors
- Improve working memory and reduce stress to open children up to learning
- Address picky eating and poor sleep habits
What you will learn in 2-Day Self-Regulation Certificate Course: Neurological Interventions for Multisensory Integration, Emotional Regulation and Executive Functioning
- Analyze the neuroscientific research related to self-regulation and sensory processing in kids diagnosed with Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, and ADHD.
- Differentiate between the characteristics of sensory processing disorder, ADHD and autism and articulate how the neurological processes of each disorder coincide with one another.
- Apply neurological approaches that tap into the central, autonomic, and enteric nervous systems to improve clinical intervention techniques.
- Determine the role of primitive reflexes and how they support or impede client functioning.
- Evaluate the relationship between the autonomic nervous system and behavior in clients.
- Determine the neurological responses aligned with intervention techniques to further enhance treatment planning.
- Develop appropriate clinical interventions for challenging behaviors in clients, such as hyper-activity, hypoactivity, aggressiveness, self-stimulation and inattentiveness.
- Implement music as a technique to initiate sensorial stimuli, calming and attentiveness in clients.
- Integrate a comprehensive mindfulness program to improve self-regulation in clients.
- Utilize role play activities to assess levels of arousal among clients.
- Develop a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses a variety of clinical concerns, including social skills deficits, picky eating and sleeping issues.
- Implement strategies to address reciprocal regulation between the child and caregiver in order to improve clinical outcomes.
The Neuroscience Behind Self-Regulation
- A look at Sensory-Motor Pathways
- The emotional brain and its connection to executive functioning: Brain dissection video
- Hyper-activity, hypo-activity, aggressiveness, self-stimulatory, and inattentiveness: Neurological dysfunction
Linking Neuro and Sensory Integration to Behaviors
- Sensory, cognition, and emotions
- Self-regulation effects on behavior: Flapping, inflexibility, rigidity, lack of inhibition, poor social skills, risk taking
- Autonomic Nervous System and its connection to behavior (ie. stress, fear, and primitive reflexes)The power of primitive reflexes and how they impede on function
- Tools and strategies for assessing primitive reflexes
Aligning Symptoms/Characteristics with Interventions
- Video case study analyzations:
- ADHD: Diagnosis and current treatment strategies
- Autism: Diagnosis and DSM-5™ updates
- Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
Self-Regulation Techniques and the Vagus Nerve Connection
- Communication strategies that provide control
- Self-management and behavioral strategies
- Address picky eating and poor sleep habits
- Music to initiate sensorial stimuli, calming and attentiveness
- New interventions for vestibular, proprioceptive, auditory, smell and vision work
Apply Neuroscience to Interventions: Hands-on Activities
- Brain Gym®, sensory diets, and MeMoves™ and their neurological connectionSelf-Regulation and Mindfulness 7-Level Hierarchy program
- Address primitive reflexes and improve social participation and age appropriate behaviors
- Tool to assess child’s arousal levels to organize interventions
Treatment Plan for Challenging Social, Eating, and Sleeping Behaviors
Video case examples:
- Perform a virtual evaluation
- Develop a treatment plan
- Goal development
- Re-assessment: When is it needed and when to discharge
Psychoeducation for Children and Parents to Address:
- Psychosocial concerns and experiences of caregivers
- Reciprocal regulation and interaction activities
About Varleisha Gibbs
Varleisha Gibbs, PhD, OTD, OTR/L, ASDCS, is an occupational therapist and author with over 18 years of experience working with children and adolescents diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Sensory Processing disorders, and Neurological disorders. She is the vice president of practice engagement and capacity building at the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA).
Dr. Gibbs is the former scientific programs officer at the American Occupational Therapy Foundation. She also served as the inaugural chair and director of the master’s programs in occupational therapy at Wesley College in Dover, DE where she was a tenured associate professor. Prior to joining Wesley, Dr. Gibbs worked at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA where she served as the director of the doctoral programs in occupational therapy.
Dr. Gibbs is steadfast and an expert in the field of neurology, cognition, and pediatric therapeutic intervention. She lectures and provides training on sensory processing strategies and self-regulation to practitioners, parents, and teachers throughout the country and internationally. As co-author of Raising Kids with Sensory Processing Disorders, she has provided families with strategies to understand and care for their children. Dr. Gibbs is the developer of the self-regulation and mindfulness program and author of the best-selling, Self-Regulation and Mindfulness: Exercise and Worksheets for Sensory Processing Disorder, 85 Activities to Move Clients Toward Healing, Growth and Improved Functioning (PESI Publishing & Media, May 2021). Dr. Gibbs is certified as an Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinical Specialist (ASDCS).
Financial: Dr. Varleisha Gibbs has employment relationships with the American Occupational Therapy Association and Wesley College. She receives a speaking honorarium and recording and book royalties from PESI, Inc. She has no relevant financial relationships with ineligible organizations.
Non-financial: Dr. Varleisha Gibbs serves on the Commission on Practice committee for the American Occupational Therapy Association. and is a member of the Freelee Foundation Executive Board of Directors. She is a member of the American Occupational Therapy Association and the National Black Occupational Therapy Caucus.
More courses from the same author: Varleisha Gibbs
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to CourseAMZ account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your CourseAMZ account then going to Downloads Page.
You may also like:
- See more Meditation courses
- See more Fitness courses
- See more Trauma Healing courses
- See more Self Hypnosis courses
- See more Behavioral Health courses
- See more Mindvalley courses
- See more TheShiftNetwork courses
- See more PESI courses
- See more Yoga courses
- See more Massage courses
- See more Weight Loss courses
- See more Qigong courses
- See more Gym courses
- See more Detox courses
- See more Athlean X courses
- See more Beachbody courses
- See more Cognitive Behavioral courses
- See more Positive Psychology courses
- See more Neuro-linguistic programming courses
- See more Ericksonian Hypnotherapy courses
- See more Self Hypnosis courses
- See more Talmadge Harper courses
- See more NICABM courses
- See more Seduction courses
- See more Sex Tips courses
- See more Dirty Talk courses
- See more Body Language courses
- See more Gabrielle Moore courses
- See more 2 Girls Teach Sex courses